Facilities of Christ Church Glendale
Since July of 1865, a small group of worshipers founded the parish of Christ Church in Glendale, a small community about 15 miles north of downtown Cincinnati. Glendale had been settled ten years earlier by the railroad men who laid the tracks that still run through the center of the village.
The first congregation met in homes until 1868, when construction of the present church, made of squared limestone building blocks (ashlars) was begun. The original construction consisted of the body of the church, which was consecrated in 1872. Nine years later, a small parish hall was attached. In 1898, William Alexander Procter, son of a founding partner of the Procter and Gamble Company, honored his mother with the gift of the much larger Olivia House. The original parish house then became the Children’s Chapel. In 1903, an impressive Rectory was built. The wife of the Rector at that time was also a Procter, and local legend is that the Procter family provided the home to house her in “the style to which she was accustomed.” In 1914/15, the sanctuary was expanded to seat about 200 persons. The altar was moved from its original (and liturgically correct) location at the east end of the building to its present location. The Bell Tower and chimes were added in 1915.
In 2014 an addition was constructed to provide additional space for worship, education and fellowship. Take a virtual tour here.
Stained Glass Windows
The stained glass windows at Christ Church Glendale are inspiring and beautiful. The Tiffany Studios designed the “Annunciation” window, located in the left transept of the main sanctuary. The “Good Shepherd” window in the rear of the church is a Victorian masterpiece. The aisle windows in the main church and in the small adjacent chapel were all designed by Charles Connick’s Boston studio and are some of the finest examples of stained glass in the country. The windows in the small chapel depict the life of Jesus and his ministry to children. In 1920, Connick added the impressive “Victory” window over the main altar. With a magnificent crucifix in its center, this window depicts saints who defended their faith in the Lord. The window was dedicated in thanksgiving for the safe return from World War I of all Glendale’s sons. The aisle windows, featuring the parables, were added during World War II, when lead was scarce. These windows are currently being cleaned and re-leaded to preserve them.